We are currently recruiting enthusiastic volunteers to support our staff and young people during a number of activity and engagement sessions. Successful applicants will support staff with the preparation for and delivery of activity sessions, and promote the involvement of young people with New Roots and the wider community.
We select all our volunteers based on merit, using informal interviews and references to assess suitability. As this volunteering opportunity will involve direct contact with vulnerable children and adults, it will also require the completion of an Enhanced DBS Check (with Children’s Barred List Check).
- A fun event that gives New Roots’ young families the opportunity to spend time with other parents and engage in activities that support young children’s development.
- Tuesdays, 12.15pm-3.45pm.
- Our weekly get-together for New Roots’ young people, staff, and volunteers.
- Based at Retford Young People’s Centre.
- Fridays, 11.15am-3.45pm.
- g. visits to local nature reserves, indoor rock climbing, game and film evenings, etc.
- Various, 2-3 hours.
The Activity Support role is flexible and volunteers can work with the Volunteer Coordinator to devise their role according to their own interests, skills and knowledge. As a guideline the main tasks involved in this role are outlined below:
- Work with staff to deliver activity sessions, ensuring they are inclusive and accessible.
- Take a role in the promotion of activities. This may include poster and literature design, representation of the project at events, writing for the New Roots website and our monthly newsletter, or taking photographs of activities.
- Participate in regular support and supervision sessions.
This role would suit someone who:
- Has an interest in the holistic development of young people through creative, social and community activities.
- Is able to work with others in a collaborative, encouraging way, promoting an environment of participation and respect.
- Is an excellent communicator.
- Has an understanding of safeguarding, confidentiality and the needs of vulnerable young people.
- Is a reliable team player with a sense of humour and a positive attitude.
- Supporting experience in available activities and service user groups would be advantageous, but not essential.
Please note, New Roots is only able to accept applications from individuals over the age of 16. Anyone under 18 should discuss volunteering with a parent or guardian and will be required to return a consent form before any activity can take place.
New Roots is always looking for enthusiastic people, of any background, who feel they could make a difference to the project. All you need is the drive and enthusiasm to help vulnerable young people make positive changes in their lives.
Whether you’re looking for the chance to give something back, a bit of work experience, or something to do in your free time, New Roots can offer:
- A meaningful volunteer experience with a vibrant, dynamic local charity.
- The chance to make positive changes in the lives of our young people.
- A full induction and training around working with vulnerable young people.
- Access to ongoing support and development, including further training appropriate to your role.
- Travel and other agreed expenses.
- Valuable work experience and a reference resource for the future.
Click here to apply