We are currently recruiting committed volunteers to offer informal support and companionship to one of our young people through regular 1:1 sessions.
Successful applicants will improve opportunities for our young people to access informal support, develop their communication and social skills, and promote their involvement with New Roots and the wider community.
We select all our volunteers based on merit, using informal interviews and references to assess suitability. As this volunteering opportunity will involve direct contact with vulnerable children and adults, it will also require the completion of an Enhanced DBS Check (with Children’s and Adults’ Barred Lists Checks).
2-3 hours per week (flexible).
- Spend time with the Support Team to identify a young person who would benefit from befriending.
- Attend initial meetings with the young person and their Support Worker, to outline the aims of the befriending relationship.
- Meet with the young person for 1-2 hours per week, in a 1:1 situation, for an agreed period (initially 3 months).
- To build a positive relationship with the young person and to encourage them to develop new skills and perspectives which will help them to achieve their personal goals.
- Maintain regular contact with the young person’s Support Worker and provide written feedback after each session.
- Participate in regular support and supervision sessions.
This role would suit someone who:
- Is able to build positive and supportive relationships with others.
- Can work creatively and on their own initiative.
- Is enthusiastic and passionate for change.
- Is familiar with the importance of health and safety.
- Is an excellent communicator.
- Has an understanding of safeguarding, confidentiality and the needs of vulnerable young people.
- Is a reliable team player with a sense of humour and a positive attitude.
- A full driving licence and access to your own vehicle would be highly advantageous.
Please note, New Roots is only able to accept applications from individuals over the age of 16. Anyone under 18 should discuss volunteering with a parent or guardian and will be required to return a consent form before any activity can take place.
New Roots is always looking for enthusiastic people, of any background, who feel they could make a difference to the project. All you need is the drive and enthusiasm to help vulnerable young people make positive changes in their lives.
Whether you’re looking for the chance to give something back, a bit of work experience, or something to do in your free time, New Roots can offer:
- A meaningful volunteer experience with a vibrant, dynamic local charity.
- The chance to make positive changes in the lives of our young people.
- A full induction and training around working with vulnerable young people.
- Access to ongoing support and development, including further training appropriate to your role.
- Travel and other agreed expenses.
- Valuable work experience and a reference resource for the future.
Click here to apply