Social Media Volunteer
We are currently recruiting volunteers with a passion for technology and communication to keep our web and social media pages up-to-date, and to develop our presence in the online community.
Successful applicants will develop opportunities to network with partner organisations, highlight news, celebrate successes, and get our young people more involved in their community.
We select all our volunteers based on merit, using informal interviews and references to assess suitability. As this volunteering opportunity will involve the moderation of our social media pages, it will also require the completion of an Enhanced DBS Check (with Children’s Barred Lists Checks).
3-6 hours per week (flexible).
The Social Media Volunteer role is flexible and volunteers can work with the Volunteer Coordinator to create a role according to their own interests, skills and knowledge. As a guideline the main tasks involved in this role are outlined below:
- Develop New Roots’ social media presence, with a particular focus on:
- Generating regular content for our social media channels.
- Encouraging others to comment on posts and share them with others.
- Building New Roots’ community identity.
- Undertake one or more of the following projects:
- Planning and writing a monthly blog for the New Roots website. This could be based on our activity programme, a profile on someone within the organisation, or a subject relevant to our young people.
- Coordinating and producing promotional leaflets and/or content for our monthly service user and stakeholder newsletter.
- Writing a press release every two months, with a view to obtaining media coverage.
- A project in a particular area of your own knowledge or interest, to be agreed with the Volunteer Coordinator.
- Participate in regular support and supervision sessions.
This role would suit someone who:
- Has some experience of online publicity or marketing.
- Is familiar with using social media to communicate and build awareness.
- Can be flexible with their time.
- Is familiar with the importance of health and safety.
- Is an excellent communicator.
- Has an understanding of safeguarding, confidentiality and the needs of vulnerable young people.
- Is a reliable team player with a sense of humour and a positive attitude.
Please note, New Roots is only able to accept applications from individuals over the age of 16. Anyone under 18 should discuss volunteering with a parent or guardian and will be required to return a consent form before any activity can take place.
New Roots is always looking for enthusiastic people, of any background, who feel they could make a difference to the project. All you need is the drive and enthusiasm to help vulnerable young people make positive changes in their lives.
Whether you’re looking for the chance to give something back, a bit of work experience, or something to do in your free time, New Roots can offer:
- A meaningful volunteer experience with a vibrant, dynamic local charity.
- The chance to make positive changes in the lives of our young people.
- A full induction and training around working with vulnerable young people.
- Access to ongoing support and development, including further training appropriate to your role.
- Travel and other agreed expenses.
- Valuable work experience and a reference resource for the future.
Click here to apply