What is Healthy Living?
Healthy Living is about making healthy choices every day; healthy choices that keep us fit physically, mentally and spiritually. Eating well, being physically active and not smoking are three of the best things we can do to stay healthy.
What can I do?
- Get active everyday: The goal is to get at least 30 minutes of activity a day. This can be achieved in many different ways, from getting off the bus one stop before and walking the rest of the way home or cycling, doing the gardening.
- Choose water as a drink: Water is the best way to quench your thirst – and it doesn’t come with the added sugar found in fruit juices, soft drinks and other sweetened drinks.
- Eat more fruit and vegetables: Fruit and vegetables are a great source of vitamins, minerals and dietary fiber.
- Switch off the computer/television and get active: Spending too much still time watching TV, surfing online or playing computer games can help you becoming overweight or obese.
- Eat fewer snacks and select healthier alternatives: It is important to limit snacks that are high in sugar or saturated fats – such as chips, cakes and chocolate – which can cause excess weight. These foods should only be eaten occasionally as a treat.